Monday, January 25, 2010

Flashback--Arriving to Texas Ritual!

Written by Mary on January 20, 2010

Here we are, our first night in Texas, having crossed the state line at sundown, yee-ha. A dog is barking in the background, keeping the coyotes at bay. It was less than a week ago that we were frolicking in Santa Rosa Island. Not hard to believe but awkward in my mind that is was several states and a good Gulf storm on the edge of the water ago from now. In an afternoon, we went from the state of half of my genes, Louisiana, “The Wetlands of America” to the state of the other half, Texas, "The Lone Star State". (And my vanity tells me I reckon' its time to get my cowgirl hat out and use it to shield me from these strong sun rays which may keep me from becoming a wrinkled up leather face.)

They say that everything is bigger in Texas, and I used to cringe at the plentiful, enormous trucks whizzing by while visiting via car here, but now that we are becoming Texas residents and sit up high in this here rig, it feels pdg to be riding through the lone star state in a big ol' truck, a powerful diesel at that. We're even sporting our new Texas license plates now and hardly anyone gives us a second look, so long as we don't set foot out of our rig which gives away that we are practically from another planet!

My dad gave me some sage advice about becoming a Texan. To that I tip my hat and welcome our experiences, guaranteed to being interesting here in Texas. 

1 comment:

  1. We all know that you need to buy some real boots and hence you did not show us that you were either bare foot, in sandals or standing on a yoga mat!
    Good try, keep on movin!

    ReplyDelete