Saturday, October 3, 2009

Moon River: A Dream of Departure

This morning, I awoke from a sweet but slightly sad travel dream.

I am in the dining room of a house, and my friend Paul and his girlfriend Sarah are in the kitchen, laughing. (It's fitting that it's them since they uprooted and moved across the country last year, themselves.)

In the dining room, I am packing up mementos and objects into a box, and leaving some of them nicely arranged on the shelves of the room. As I'm packing, a version of the song "Moon River" (as recorded by the Innocence Mission, one of our favorite bands) is playing, and I am singing along, as are Paul and Sarah. As I sing, tears are streaming down my face.

Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.

---Keith

2 comments:

  1. Wait!! Is Bob the Nurse going too??? Is he packed? Does he get car sick??

    ReplyDelete