Monday, July 19, 2010

Weekend Fun!

Just this past Friday, we inaugurated a new weekly tradition----Fun Friday! We decided that Fridays are going to be our (more or less) sacrosanct day for getting out into the world, exploring, and having fun together---no computers, no emails, no work, no Facebook, just time together enjoying ourselves.

So, our inaugural Fun Friday started off with a drive north towards the Rio Grande, our first spontaneous stop being at a sculpture garden and gallery in the little village of Tesuque, which is sandwiched amidst several Indian pueblos along a strip of highway dotted with casinos and related businesses that cater to casino-goers. The sculpture garden was lovely, and it was a nice way to start the day with an eyeful of art combined with nature. 

Skirting the town of Espanola (which we hear is the Black Tar Heroin capital of the country), we made our way to the area of Embudo, a small old town along the Rio Grande on the road towards Taos. Lucky for us, some neighbors loaned us some inner tubes and Mary had a fantastic float for a few lazy miles down the river, with Tina and I picking her up at our agreed meeting place several hours later. Slight sunburn aside, Mary had a glorious time and floated downstream accompanied by a blue heron for most of the way.

Due to Mary's adventurous spirit, we first stopped at a local winery for a tasting of wine and handmade chocolate, and later met a wonderful couple who showed us around their amazing homestead along the river. A number of years ago, they sold everything, bought an RV,  and spent 8 years ( ! ) on the road until settling in Dixon, New Mexico, just down the road from Embudo. They were exceedingly kind, and we hope to visit them again and spend some time on their lush and beautiful land.

Thankfully, our new friends in Dixon sent us down the road to a new cafe in "downtown" Dixon, and we hungrily ate a delicious meal before Mary drove our happy but exhausted selves back to Santa Fe for a good night's sleep, lulled by memories of many hours on the Rio Grande.

Saturday dawned hot and sunny, and after a morning at home, we decided to bicycle into town to check out an international dance festival at the Santa Fe Plaza. Making the intelligent choice to leave Tina behind to stay cool in our casita (with the windows closed and shades down against the heat and sun), we biked to the plaza in time to enjoy almost two hours of free entertainment, including belly dancing, flamenco, break dancing, ballet, mambo and salsa. Despite the heat and glaring sun, people were out in droves, and the audience and dancers were mutually enthusiastic.

On a tip from a neighbor, we then biked over to the Santa Fe Railyard park where the eighth annual "Taste of Santa Fe" was being held. More than forty restaurants were offering small samples of their various delicacies, and before we could consider buying a ticket (6 tastes for $15), a couple came up to us and generously gave us theirs, which allowed us to eat to our hearts' content, especially since most of the folks at the various booths didn't even bother to mark what we had eaten, anyway.

Being as thoughtful as she is, Mary offered our ticket to a homeless man who was hanging out and observing the scene. She approached him and said, "Are you hungry?" He replied affirmatively, and his eyes lit up when Mary gave him the ticket and instructed him to make his rounds of the booths. 

After using the ladies' room, Mary emerged to show me that she had found a "$50 unlimited ticket" for the event, and she hurried off to find the same gentleman, who was drinking Coca-Cola and eating a gourmet sandwich and salad just outside the event in the shade. Three female friends of his---possibly homeless themselves---were also watching the crowds eat their fill, and Mary and her friend presented these three ladies with the unlimited ticket which would allow them to eat a rapturous meal during the final hour of the event. A very happy ending for all. 

Coming home, we found Tina relatively calm despite being left alone for hours, and the day blossomed into a relaxing evening at home.

Sunday, we capped off the weekend with a celebration, labyrinth walk and potluck at the labyrinth in the park behind our house. It was a sweet and gentle ending to three very full days of enjoying the heat, sun and blue skies of northern New Mexico at the height of summer.


  1. Looks Like a wonderful adventurous weekend, full of possiblities and abundance. Great photos too!


  2. You guys really know how to live! ... And, that final sunset picture is very nicely composed. ~Rick

  3. thanks, rick. in fact, there was a glorious double rainbow too. the rainbows here are so vibrant and they last so long! and you can see the whole thing arch from horizon to horizon! glorious!

  4. Sounds like a beautiful time and place!
    I wish you many many more!

  5. thanks, donna!

    we would include you, for sure! just think how you and i could gab up a storm floating down river! :)

  6. What a wonderful weekend you had! My soul feels uplifted just reading about it. I'm glad Tina is doing well and feeling secure enough in the casita that you can go out and do these activities without worrying about her. You might actually have been cooler in New Mexico than in New England. It has been unseasonably hot and horrendously humid and uncomfortable here.

  7. I am enjoying catching up with you on your journey....
    Helping to feed those that were hungry with the ticket you gave away was touching..
    So many times people just look the other way, it makes them uncomfortable to see things they rather not acknowledge.
    take care, Sheri

  8. donna, lucinda and sheri, you both are such joys on this earth, bringing beauty through your gardens and photographs! rick and jeff, you are joys too! thanks for commenting.
    (i love this blog post, keith, good job!)

  9. Keith and Mary- you both are really settling into a nice New Mexico ryhthm. Beautiful times for beautiful people....

  10. How utterly cool! I haven't been tubing in years...

  11. September 19, 2010
    Are you seeing a lot of hummingbirds on their migration to that area?
    I had swarms of them this month at my feeders
    before they fly across the gulf of mexico migrating to Mexico and central america.
    I know some of them take the path straight down to Mexico in the western states... that are not migrating from the north east Atlantic coast to the southeastern states..then on down to central america for the winter..and return here March lst to my home..for the summer and early fall months to raise babies and live here..